Thumbnails: Julie Bell

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

I doubt anyone reading this does not already know about Julie Bell’s mastery in figure painting. (Although I equally love her loose and suggestive backgrounds.) What you may not know is how much she is a delight to work with. She brings such a high level of excitement and professionalism to each and every project that I never worry when I have a cover in her hands. There are many books and calendars on Julie's work, the most recent of which is Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: The Ultimate Collection.

Favorite painting you did in the past year?

The movie poster for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie that I did in tandem with Boris. Also the cover for Firebird that I just did for Tor. And one of my wolf paintings. And a couple of others.


Do you remember the first time you knew you wanted to be an artist?

When I was in fifth grade, I got a huge lecture from my teacher because I didn't have a goal in life. So, since I really loved to draw and make comic books and "tattoos" for my friends, I said I would be an artist.

What painting do you wish you painted?

Anything by Waterhouse or Dulac.


A career highlight?

When I get together with Boris and my kids and our friends and we all paint together, I get so happy I almost can't stand it! [See Retreat.]


What are you working on now?

I've decided to do some wildlife art that makes use of my fantasy-style backgrounds with realistic animals. It's so much fun! It all started when I did some covers for Tor that featured wolves and, needing reference material, I went to shoot pictures at a wolf sanctuary. I completely fell in love with the wolves!

Your biggest influences?
Boris and my sons, Anthony and David Palumbo.


Did you attend a formal art school?

I went to a bunch of different colleges and universities, always majoring in art, because I was always moving to different locations in the country. Some of my best art teachers were from community colleges! I believe a formal art school is ideal and it's got to be a blast to be in that environment, but it's not necessarily the only way to go. It all depends on how much you put yourself into it. Also I should mention that a great deal of what I learned to bring myself up to the professional level was done many years after I was out of school.

Blog Archive